June 12, 2013 -- Redhawk Resources Copper Creek Project
- Join us this 12th of June as Redhawk Resources presents an update on the Copper Creek Project. We would like to thank our meeting sponsor Meridian Contracting. More...
May 8, 2013 -- Monrad Engineering
- Christian Monrad, P.E. Principal and Vice President of Monrad Engineering presents, "LED Lighting for Operational Safety, Visual Comfort and Optimal Total Cost of Ownership in Mining Operations". Chris is designing the light for Rosemont Copper as well as other mining projects. We would like to thank our dinner sponsor Rummel Construction. More...
Apr. 14, 2013 -- SME Operator's BBQ at UA's San Xavier Mining Lab
- The University of Arizona SME Student Chapter will be hosting its annual Tucson SME Operator's BBQ at the San Xavier Mining Laboratory on Sunday April 14. The Spring 2013 Student Scholarships will be awarded during the BBQ. More...
Mar. 13, 2013 -- Spring Scholarship Applications are open
- Spring 2013 Scholarships applications are now open. Students pursuing degrees related to mining from the UA and PCC/UA are eligible. Undergrad and graduate students are encouraged to apply. Deadline to apply is March 30. Read more and apply today.
Mar. 13, 2013 -- Erich Smidt, Guardvant, Inc.
- Erich Smidt, Director of Sales and Marketing at Guardvant, Inc., will present One Small Step to Autonomy and One Giant Leap for Safety and Productivity: Haul Truck Operator Alertness Monitoring & Proximity Awareness Technology. The presentation will discuss the latest technology and management approaches to proximity detection and operator fatigue that set the stage for semi-autonomous systems and that address two leading causes of mining accidents involving mobile equipment: operator fatigue and blind spots around the machines. Big thanks to our meeting sponsor Geotemps. More...
Feb. 13, 2013 -- David Beling, Bullfrog Gold Corp's AZ & NV Projects
- Join us as David Beling, President and CEO of Bullfrog Gold, discusses Bullfrog Gold and projects. Bullfrog Gold Corp. is a US based gold and silver exploration company with large prospective properties within prolific mining districts of Nevada and Arizona. Big thanks to our meeting sponsor SRK Consulting. More...
Feb. 8, 2013 -- Dr. Wilson
Terril Edward Wilson, PE, PhD
1937 - 2013
Dr. Wilson, or "Ted" as he liked to be called, was truly one of a kind. An active, engaging soul, explorer, mining engineer, professor, and dear friend.
More on Dr. Wilson here...
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- SME Tucson wants to thank everyone for your support this year, and want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy and Prosperous New Year! Safe travels to everyone during this holiday season, enjoy your family and friends, and see you all next year!
Jan. 9, 2013 -- ASARCO Hayden Anode Furnace Update
- Kevin McPeak, Asarco Hayden Engineering manager; Alberto Fernandez, Asarco Hayden Senior Metallurgical Engineer; and Matt Russell, Senior Process Engineer for Gas Cleaning Technologies (GCT) will discuss upgrades to the Hayden Anode furnace, resulting in reduced emissions and potential natural gas savings. Big thanks to our meeting sponsor ASARCO LLC. More...
Dec. 2-3, 2012 -- SME 2012 Arizona Conference
- The 2012 Arizona Conference will be hosted by the SME national organization. For information, schedule, or to register, check out their webpage. More...
Nov. 14, 2012 -- Kevin Francis, Oracle Ridge Copper Project
- Kevin Francis, VP Technical Services, discusses the Oracle Ridge Copper Project. More...
Oct. 14, 2012 -- $22,500 Awarded to 18 U of A Mining Students
- Thank you very much to everyone that came out to the Savoy Opera House last night and showed your support! This year's event was a great success once again, thanks to your generosity. This semester, a total of $22,500 was awarded to 18 mining students at the University of Arizona; more scholarships will be awarded in the Spring 2013 semester.
- Thank you to this year's sponsors who made our 2012-2013 scholarships possible:
Oct. 13, 2012 -- Annual Scholarship Fundraiser
- Put on your best boots and hat and join us on Saturday, October 13 at the Savoy Opera House. There will be live music by Beau Renfro and the Clear Country Band! More...
Sep. 12, 2012 -- Chris Pascoe, Resolution Copper
- Chris Pascoe joins us to provide an update on the Resolution Copper project. Thank you to our meeting sponsor Rosemont Copper. More...
Aug. 8, 2012 -- Dan Eyde, From Feedlots to Fukushima
- Dan Eyde presents "From Feedlots to Fukushima - Natural Zeolites, St. Cloud's Versatile Industrial Material." Thank you to our meeting sponsor Empire Southwest. More...
Reminder: No July dinner meeting. See you August 8th!
Jun. 13, 2012 -- Workforce Trends in the U.S. Mining Industry
Apr. 7, 2012 -- SME Operator's BBQ at UA's San Xavier Mining Lab
- The University of Arizona SME Student Chapter will be hosting its annual Tucson SME Operator's BBQ at the San Xavier Mining Laboratory this April 7. The Spring 2012 Student Scholarships will be awarded during the BBQ. More...
Mar. 25, 2012 -- Spring 2012 Scholarship Applications Due
Mar. 14, 2012 -- Dale Ortman, Reclamation at Asarco Mission
- Applications are now open for Spring 2012 scholarships. Be sure to pass this link to UA mining students in your network, including interns: www.smetucson.org/scholarships
Feb. 18, 2012 -- 2012 Engineers Week Mall Day
- Dale Ortman discusses the reclamation of tailings and waste rock at Asarco's Mission Mine. Thank you to meeting sponsor MHF Services. More...
Feb. 8, 2012 -- Hall Stewart, VP Exploration of Commonwealth Silver
SME volunteers Eben Robinson (and daughter), Larry Dykers, Dianne Archer, and Rob Pratt (and daughter Lucy) spent the day at the Foothills Mall on Saturday February 18, discussing mining engineering with mall patrons. Engineers from several disciplines gathered at the mall, in celebration of Engineers Week, to talk about engineering with the general public. SME's booth with educational displays regarding mining engineering was well received by those that stopped by for a visit.
Jan. 11, 2012 -- Bev Everson, USFS, on Rosemont Copper DEIS
- Hall Stewart from Commonwealth Silver, discusses the Commonwealth Silver-Gold Epithermal Deposit in Cochise County. Thank you to meeting sponsor Turner Laboratories Inc. More...
Jan. 5, 2012 -- 2012 SME Tucson Bylaws
- Bev Everson from the USFS will discuss the alternatives development, selection and NEPA process regarding Rosemont Copper. Thank you to meeting sponsor Geotemps More...
Oct. 23, 2011 -- New Section Board for 2011-2012
Oct. 22-- $31,000 in Scholarships Awarded to 20 UA Mining Students
- 2011-2012 Officers are Section Chair Rob Pratt, Call & Nicholas, Vice Chair Francisco Barrios, TetraTech, Secretary Stacy Henrich, EEC, and Treasurer Rachel Chavez, Rosemont Copper. Full Board...
- This year's fundraiser was a great success! On October 22, the Section awarded more than $31,000 in scholarships to 20 mining students at the UA, with more scholarships to be awarded in Spring 2012. Thank you to this year's sponsors who made our 2011-2012 scholarships possible:
- More information on our 20 scholarship recipients coming soon!